The following scholarships are now accepting applications:
1. Brandon Nickel Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to one successful candidate who displays the same characteristics that Brandon demonstrated. Update: Please note that the scholarship amount is $500 and can be used toward hockey-related or post-secondary expenses. Deadline for applications is April 6th, 2016.
2. Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship: awarded each year to one or more Woolwich athletes that display the same characteristics that led Dan to a successful athletic career. Deadline for applications is approximately June 15th (TBD)
1) Brandon Nickel Memorial Scholarship
In July 2013, Brandon Nickel lost his life in a car accident at the age of 20. Brandon enjoyed playing for Woolwich Minor Hockey for many years. He demonstrated strong teamwork, sportsmanship, and a love of hockey. A $500
scholarship fund has been established for one successful candidate who displays the same characteristics that Brandon demonstrated.
Anyone wishing to apply for this scholarship must be registered with Woolwich Minor Hockey, be 13-17 years of age, and demonstrate a strong commitment to team, good sportsmanship, and great work ethic on the ice. Deadline for applications is April 6th.
The scholarship funds must be used towards hockey-related expenses or post-secondary expenses.
The successful candidate will be chosen by the Nickel family after reviewing all of the applications. The successful candidate will be rewarded the scholarship at the Woolwich Minor Hockey Awards Banquet.
Applicants are required to submit:
- The application form
- A one page letter stating how they feel they demonstrate the required qualities (described above).
- Two reference letters from either a coach, or a teacher, or a teammate stating why they believe the candidate should be awarded this scholarship.
For more information please contact: Penny or Brad Nickel at (519) 664-1415
Applications can be dropped off in the mailboxes outside of the Woolwich Minor Hockey Office in the Woolwich Memorial Centre.
2) Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship
Each year, The Dan Snyder Memorial Scholarship is awarded to one or more Woolwich athletes that display the same characteristics that led Dan to a successful athletic career:
- Desire to succeed
- Good sportsmanship
- Community involvement
Candidates can apply in one of three categories:
- Elmira Sugar Kings
- Woolwich Minor Hockey
- Woolwich Community Open
All candidates must be enrolled in a qualified accredited post-secondary institution. The recipients receive the scholarship funds in the fall to be used toward their post-secondary education. Funds are deposited directly to the school the recipient will attend that fall, under the direction of the K-W Community Foundation.
Submission date is ~June 15, 2016. See http://www.37risingstars.com/scholarship_apply.html to apply.